View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #102
TchncnDen

Re: 1969 Custom/10 clean up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
Then I got busy with my HEI ignition.. because I was smart enough to remove all the spark plug wires, assuming that there would be a mark on the distributor showing cylinder 1 .... But unfortunately I was wrong

So after some contemplating I realized that if the engine is at TDC ( top dead center ) that the rotor of the ignition should point to the first spark plug .. TDC can be seen on the harmonic balancer when the line Lines up with the 0 degrees mark.

1 cylinder must then be on the compression stroke , this I checked by taking off the valve cover and checking whether the rockers of cylinder 1 both had clearance .

the annoying part is that when the engine is at tdc , the rotor of the ignition is directly between two points on the distributor ... so I assume I take the one before the rotor as cylinder 1?, or after .. suggestions are welcome
Since timing is set as degrees before TDC, the #1 cylinder would be before the rotor. This is assuming you have the distributor marked as to where it was when you took it out. This should get you going, then set the timing with a light once running.
TchncnDen is offline   Reply With Quote