View Single Post
Old 06-13-2022, 12:10 PM   #1
truckster

Blazer Softopper One Year Review

In case anyone is considering purchasing one, I thought I'd give a review after living with mine for a full year. I have a dark yellow Blazer and I went with the tan canvas and tinted windows.

First, the price - it's a little expensive, but since it's the only option, it's not unreasonable.

Installation - It's not all that difficult. It's easier if you have a second person to help you. There are several posts on here (including mine) regarding installation.

Durability - The frame and canvas have lasted well so far. There's some hazing and scratching on the side windows, especially where they contact the bows, but that's to be expected with plastic windows.

Weather resistance - I've driven with my Softopper in rain and snow and not had any leaks. I did run a bead of silicone under the header bar, and I used short sections of black pipe insulation in the top front corners instead of the white foam supplied with the top. I upgraded my heater when I put the truck together, so your mileage may vary if you have a stock heater, but I've been able to stay relatively warm on the coldest days. I wouldn't let more than a few inches of snow accumulate on it, but I don't have any hard evidence for how much weight it could bear.

Noise - Yes, it's going to be noisier than your hard top. My other car is also a convertible. I don't drive my Blazer on the freeway very much, but I keep ear plugs in the glove box just in case.

Up/down operation - There are a couple of options here. When the weather is going from cold to warm, I roll up the sides and back to enjoy the warm weather and roll them down when it's cold. It just takes a few minutes in either direction and can be done by one person. One note of caution: when the canvas gets cold it doesn't stretch well, and getting the sides to snap can be difficult. If you know it's going to get cold, snap the sides down before the cold hits.

You can also completely remove the top and stow it in the boot that's provided for it. This can be done by one person, but it's much easier to fold it correctly if you have two. When stowed this way, the front bows are still in place, and the boot with the top in it will block your tailgate. You can remove both by taking out the circle clips and storing it if you wish. Putting the top back on can be done fairly easily by one person with average strength. It took me about 10 minutes to do it by myself yesterday.

Overall impression - I'm glad I have my Softopper. Only time will tell how many years it will last, but I'm currently figuring out a permanent storage solution for my hard top.