View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #8
Average Joe

Re: The 'Burban Chronicles.....

^^lol^^

This one wasnt quite that bad.

With the information on this board I was able to determine the steering box from the '86 would bolt right up. My '67 must have been a later model because no spacers were needed as it already had the raised mounting holes, unlike most other '67's. It came from the Freemont plant. Perhaps they had gotten a supply of '68 frame rails earlier than the other GM plants. I really dont know. Either way I was pleasantly surprised and only had to notch the front bumper mount for clearance.

The box being an '86 was set up for metric fittings iirc. With the info I gleaned from one of TXFirefighter threads, I learned I could swap the fitting in the back of the '68 power steering pump, I had aquired off CL, to the metric fitting from the '86 pump. If memory serves the pumps were similar but the bracketry was different and I wanted to keep the short water pump/driver side alternator set up.

I purchased new hoses for an '86 model and bam I had power steering. Lol!

I utilized the power booster and mc as well. I gave them a Krylon overhaul and modified the brake pushrod to work via a coupling nut and a few tacks from my lil wire feed. Bam! Now I had power brakes. Still drum but power assisted from the dual diaphram '86 booster.
Attached Images

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote