View Single Post
Old 05-14-2021, 09:04 AM   #15
Boog
laying low

Re: Random No Start?

This has been a topic of discussion for some 60 years as to whether the ford solenoid fixes the no start or hard start problem or not.
GM vehicles from the factory did not begin having a hot start issue until thousands of miles, typically, were accumulated. Back in the 60s and 70s hard starts were more prevalent on big block vehicles but small blocks were also affected. An old local starter/alternator repairman would beef up a starter to help and suggested both new battery cables and clean grounds. The beefed up starter most often cured the problem. The cheap parts store replacements did nothing.
I am no electrician so I fail to understand how adding the extra ford solenoid cures the problem. There is still a positive battery cable running down to the starter subject to the same heat soak as the OE cable and the power is still going through the stock solenoid which still heats up with the starter.
I won't deny some of you may benefit from the ford solenoid addition and I don't believe I have ever heard of hot start problems on ford vehicles.
I just cannot grasp how adding a 2nd solenoid in line to a GM system helps.
Help me understand.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote