View Single Post
Old 05-30-2021, 08:45 AM   #1053
jocko

Re: Post Your Craigslist Finds Part 2

There is a reason trucks in boxes don't usually sell for anywhere near what the seller has invested in as if it were an assembled truck - when buying a shell with a great SPID and boxes of parts, there's really no way to know what's missing unless you go in person and inventory the stuff. There may be $15K worth of parts there, but if you only need $5K of them, it's not a sweet deal, and undoing (if so inclined) someone else's idea of what a dash modified for 7" touch screen should look like could get expensive kinda quickly (even if it was done very well - you gotta "want" that mod before you buy - or go into it eyes wide open with what would be needed to undo it). That is why stock trucks, even if the intent is to shorten, slam, and hot rod them after purchase, retain the most value in my opinion - people just tend to like to start with a known quantity I think - or maybe it's just me. Please note, I'm not suggesting a COMPLETE hot-rodded slammed truck doesn't bring the money, it certainly can, but the purchaser knows the full picture of what they are buying. I'm really only talking about unfinished projects that come in boxes - there is risk.

My 2 cents anyway. I'm sure there's $15K in the boxes, but right or wrong, I tend to shy away from projects others have punted on. Yes, I probably miss out on some great deals, or at the very least. some great piles of parts - but you never know until you look closely.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote