View Single Post
Old 11-26-2020, 07:52 PM   #210
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Okay, so it didn't take 15 minutes to install the driveline, but easy enough right.

I spent much time determining how long the driveline would have to be, even layed 600 lbs. of sand bags on the frame, which made no difference weight or not. Gave an excuse to finish torqueing the leaf spring HW. End of the day despite a 4/2.5 drop the shafts didn't require a length adjustment, per the shop who refreshed the driveline. The gap between the front slip joint and transmission tail remained 1/2". What changed is the gap between the rear dust shield on the carrier bearing and rear slip joint. The shop said that's cool, and even though the guy was drunk he'd obviously done this a long while, he even showed me how to remove the rubber boot from the bearing for an edgeucation.

The finish proved a challenge, imagine my surprise to see the guy ceramic coated the front slip joint for starts. Complete finish do over on the front shaft & slip. Not a big deal, he's generally very good and didn't want a dime to do it again, this time 3x the work easy. Both of us got her done. He talked me into ceramic in the first place. After install and clean-up I'm happy for it. The carrier bracket is ceramic too. Happy Thanksgiving
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote