View Single Post
Old 01-07-2021, 11:38 PM   #218
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Dang it,
dang it
ah dang it
dang it

Ah man dang it, picked this up today, just dropped it off yesterday for powder coat. I knew of a flaw already, but accepted it, the first owner drilled through the support for a external trans cooler COUGH!, bypassing the Radiator COUGH! and the welder wasn't the best right DARN!. Fair enough, I can live with it. But then I get this home and see this. I probably missed it, though they did blast it, course it would show more, but almost matches the two captured nuts right. If I knew about it no way I'd powder coat. They only charged $130, but they only needed to strip some paint and now it's powder coat, Dang it Anyway, they have an oven but I'll bet it doesn't fit

Anyway, I'm up to eating some more with them, just want to see it done and they're good people. That's assuming they can strip it cleanly (e.g. no warping, distortions) they only have a sand blaster, it's one reason they like their oven, dang it.

Calling them tomorrow to share the news. Another on the chops. Speak of, they did powder my NOS hood springs today, a lot of places won't, they look great. That's the second time these were finished on my watch. Lesson for me was sometimes it's best to let experts do what they're known for. If they volunteer for more that might be worth another consideration

That dent in the core support is a tough calling, real bad spot. I have a nice heavy iron block that fits right in there, but then what, can't swing a hammer at that either.

So I should have had the core support painted in the first place, and know just the body guy, at least the metal should look better than new assuming it's stripped cleanly. The body end was another oversight on my part, how about let me see it before you spray. Perhaps worst of it I planned to mount it because ordered the radiator today as well. I'd like to run the new cooler lines before the cab is dropped, the old lines were cut COUGH! so nothing to compare them to, and I'm hoping to use the clip on the oil pan as well. Word is my cab is due 3-4 weeks Busy every day till it's done, sick of it, I want this on the road Dec. or soon after.

On a side, I can't imagine what would have put that dent in there, what the heck? Had to have been a big tool, I'd need a 1/4 round bar and hammer or pellet gun to match it. I suppose I could drill a hole in it instead plan B, declare it the secret for an extra cool engine. May have even been bondo, factory.

Money pit, love doing things twice too, just a ball. They say it's the adventure I guess, who made that up.

Edit: Just got off the phone with the place. He suggests, and I agree prep as it is for paint, because it's a good base for the right paint. I'll ask the painter about finishing all but the rear.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-08-2021 at 04:52 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote