View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
hemi43

Re: Finally getting AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister.freeze View Post
So after owning my 72 K5 for 22 years, I'm finally getting around to putting air conditioning back in it. I installed the major components and am looking for a place locally to have the hoses crimped.

After installing the Condenser, the truck ran really hot. I did a drain and flush, and checked the thermostat. All good. It's a universal AC kit, so the condenser has it's own fan. I tied it into the electric radiator fans, and the helped a little. All this BEFORE even servicing and running the AC system. I have 2 12" fans on the radiator that before the condenser install kept the temp needle in the first 1/4 of the gauge. The condenser can't be blocking that much air, can it? When I run the system and the condenser gets warm, things will just get worse, probably. Thoughts? any chance of a coincidental water pump or temp sensor issue? Thanks all.
Are you using a shroud that covers the whole rad surface? Are you using an aluminum rad? Just placing a couple fans over the rad will not be sufficient especially if they are not located right against the cooling fins. Any gap will allow the air to just recirculate around the fans, and having any extra obstructions like your AC condenser will just increase the problem because the air will take the path of least resistance.
Pics?

Last edited by hemi43; 08-04-2021 at 12:04 PM.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote