View Single Post
Old 12-28-2021, 05:34 PM   #1485
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

Not a lot done today.

But it kept me busy for a while.

First job was to try remove the wiring harness anchors that had been drilled and screwed through the inner fenders, the small 6mm nuts and threaded screws had long since become one with each other.
So a new, 10mm drill-bit and straight onto the heads while clamping the nut with a vice grip.

Drill till you have no head left, wiggle or wriggle it out through the inner fender.

Following this, start to undo the wiring from the front end.

While working, I was joined by George.

I do not even have a cat.

Eventually I had made it to this point.

Not yet finished the engine bay clear out, but I needed to refocus on the inside of the body where a load of pipes and wired went to.

Also contemplating new head lights with integrated turn signals etc, and to cut and smooth the existing indicator and side light pods so the fenders are just smooth and clear.

I think that will work.

So once a bunch of the wires from the engine bay had been chased inside the cab, I needed to start undoing them.

Unfortunately 30 years of open air driving and parking resulted in rotted out wood and vinyl everywhere.

Felt like a demolition derby, though it was done gently.

Removing all the switches, clocks and warning lights left me with a pile of VDO gauges.

Looking at the speedo, I suspect that like many kit cars, this only did the indicated mileage after being built.

Some of the parts removed to date, like the rear brake shoes clearly had hardly worked.

Tomorrow I will get back to doing the rest of the stripping.

Today the biggest time waster was actually getting the choke knob captive nut unscrewed blind, awkwardly behind the dash, but eventually got it done.

Adding the rest of the pedals and all the wiring I can get removed.

With George continuing his supervision.

Here’s to better weather tomorrow.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote