Thread: Penny
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2022, 11:25 PM   #4
cwcarpenter98

Re: Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Good grab. It looks complete. You'll have fun cleaning it up. Hopefully it will run well for you. 305s get a lot of bad press, but I think that people don't understand what they were designed for and expect too much. They're meant to be a torque engine that allows you to get up to speed and then get decent mileage. If you try to push them past that, they don't do much. I'm surprised it has a two barrel, I didn't know about that configuration. I see that it's an LG9 and I couldn't find any specs on that, barely shows up on the internet. But still should run all right. When I bought mine, I drove it home 175 miles and it did just fine at freeway speed but didn't seem to have much extra. Then when I pulled the carburetor, I found that the secondaries were jammed closed. No wonder there wasn't any extra, haha. If you have a 2 barrel, you've only got primaries, so to speak, but they should be larger than the primaries on my 4 barrel, so it should run around just fine.
I'm looking forward to bringing it back to life. It deserves a second chance.
I'm also not looking to push a ton of horsepower through it, so a nice, smooth cruiser is what I'm looking for.
That's funny on your 4 barrel acting like a 2 barrel You needed those secondaries to really open up all those horse torques

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote