View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 12:13 AM   #30
mr48chev

Re: Abandoned, neglected square body trucks rotting away... part two

No one showed a photo of my Dualie sitting out in the yard so life is good.
I've had a number of good friends with wrecking yards over the years and the general consensus on buying rigs for the yard was that they were worth what the engine would sell for on that rig and you got your profit from the rest.

One who seldom paid over 35.00 for any vehicle he bought and usually hauled them away with them being given to him to get rid of them sold fenders and doors and hoods for 25.00 each no matter what they were off except for a few actual specialty rigs. Parts were worth what people would pay cash for that day in most cases but their prices were friendly and their volume was high.

Still vehicles had so many days in the yard before the line they were in got crushed as his real money was in hauling crushed cars.

The operator of a yard in town who is third generation gives me great deals but I have given him maybe 50 cars over the years and he remembers that. I used to buy a lot of cars for what amounts to beer money now and take what I wanted and call his dad and then him to come get the rest with the title laying on the seat.

The "I'll part it out myself" brigade around here wants more for parts than wrecking yards half of the time. You can find deals on bought it for the engine and trans rigs with nice cabs though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote