View Single Post
Old 01-18-2023, 10:41 AM   #1
MARKDTN

'83 K20 auto to manual locking hubs conversion-help needed

I have had this truck since '91. My uncle bought it new and I got it with 32K miles. It now has about 180K. It has not been a DD for a long time, but still gets used when needed. I do not use 4WD very often but when I do it is hard to get the autolocking hubs to completely disengage. To get the hubs to unlock, you have to drive fast in reverse in a straight line on a warm day or you get clicking. In about 1993 it got 2 new hubs from a GM dealer put on. I have been ignoring this for years but I am finally ready to swap to manual lock hubs. I am very mechanical but have just never taken a 4WD hub apart. I'm very confused about 1) what kit do I need? and 2) how deep do I have to get? The Warn website only goes back to 1989 so I can't get a good feel for parts. I see a 26241DW Warn kit on Ebay that says it works but then it says Dana 44. I was pretty sure mine is a 10 bolt? What Warn (or other brand) kit do I need? I see super duty, standard duty, premium.... I have watched a few videos and I think if I understand correctly that I remove the cap, remove the hub retaining ring, pull old hub, put back new hub, retaining ring, cap, done. Is that the high level process? If I don't have wheel bearing issues is there any reason to go deeper "while I am there"? I don't think I have any transfer case issues since it is not full-time 4WD? I just need someone who knows what to do to give me a little high level advice and a push in the right direction. Thanks!
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project

Last edited by MARKDTN; 01-18-2023 at 01:36 PM.
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote