View Single Post
Old 10-23-2023, 01:21 AM   #431
JPTL

Re: Where's the 3/4 ton love?

A 13 year old thread...showcasing the 3/4 tonners. How cool!
I found an AZ '66 C20 Custom with factory air and a Barden rear bumper. Got it from the grandson of the original owner. Not a spot of rust...anywhere.
I'm in the process of getting it back to close to original, but on somewhat of a budget.

It was repowered with a solid and strong Chevy 350 and TH350 and subtle dual exhaust. I have an oak bed ready to install with the original bed rails refinished. The 'broken back' look is exaggerated in the pic b/c the rear fenders and bed were sitting on the frame rails when it was taken (it was sitting 1" lower since the wood hadn't been installed). Also the original rear cab mounts are saggy so are getting replaced. I'll also be returning to the factory Turquoise with white top.
I agree with those of you who like the original 'pizza cutter' steelies, in fact I like the old industrial looking bias ply look as well. I found a set of 8.75 x 16.5 commercial "Highway" bias ply for cheap when compared to Coker. I'm sure the quality is average at best, as it took a lot of lead to balance them, but I'm not hitting the fast lane on I-95 anytime soon.
I do have a question about the silver boxes that are in the rear fenders of some C20s.

Is this unique to the Camper Special? What is the box called and what's its purpose?
JPTL is offline   Reply With Quote