View Single Post
Old 12-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #254
Arekusu

Re: Old School Hot Rod Truck (1964)

Hello again everyone! Is it cool if I revive my own old thread from the dead?

Just moved to Tacoma, Wa now and the truck is back with me. Since I've been gone I finished my dad's g-body Monte Carlo and it's now my daily driver. I have just about finished my 57 Cadillac too. The Cadillac is fully rust free and in a nice coat of 9300 black paint and 5 coats of clear that likely got sanded down flat to 2 solid mirror like coats. That all took time but I have the truck again.

After driving a well sorted g-body that turns way too well for a 36 year old car, I kind of want a similar feel for the truck. With how much power this thing makes and the slow manual steering box ratio.. it's honestly not save to drive if the back end walks out.. the steering is too slow to get it back around unless I'm truly doing a vulcan mind meld with the truck and time it perfectly. Wet roads? forget it.. I wont drive the truck in the rain.. So to make this a vehicle rather than a garage queen, some mods are to be in order. Here's the plan so far.

The plan:

- Power steering (CPT FAB brackets, maybe a readhead gearbox.. but what pump? I want road feel transmitted to the steering wheel and no 1 finger turning)
- Aurora design radio
- bench seat with contouring or buckets so i don't slide when I drive
- I must fix this column lower bearing.. it binds and doesn't allow me to use the horn.. it also has been chewing up my steering wheel.
- New in-tank fuel pump.. exterior aeromotive sounds like an aircraft APU is about to fire off.
- bigger front brakes.. (are updated spindles worth it (CPP C5?)
- LED headlights. The HID's haven't really worked well

* I'm getting smart on making carbon fiber panels and want to make some for the truck.. has anyone attempted this yet? They wouldn't show the carbon "look".

Thanks for the read.. updates to follow. Let me know what you think. I've been out of the truck game for some time now.
Arekusu is offline   Reply With Quote