View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
Saclandman

Re: Project Coca-Rustola: '67 C20 Longstepper

On Sunday, took the new fuel sending unit to the truck. Unfortunately, the pick up line is bigger than the original. Instead of jerry-rigging the fittings, I decided to return the new part, and get the correct one. Of course, the shop I bought it from is closed on Sundays. Stopped by this morning and picked up the right one this time. For future reference, the inline 6 and 283 V8 with 2 bbl carb run the same size fuel lines and fittings. The other V8s with 4 bbl carbs run the larger lines. Makes sense.

Anyway, got it installed today. After some issues with flooding the carb, backed off the idle a bit, and she fired right up on new gasoline from the tank. Those old lifters were a'clickin' and a'clackin'. But after revving it up for a few minutes, the engine quieted right down. Let it idle for about 10 minutes or so, then shut it down. Spotted water coming out from another rotted block expansion plug. Plus, I have oil coming out at a pretty good drip from the front timing cover seal.

But the truck did move under it's own power today. Only about a foot....and in reverse. Dropped the tranny into reverse, and it starting moving, with the clutch still depressed. Obviously, I have some clutch issues also. Didn't feel like pressing my luck in a forward gear since my wife's BMW was sitting right in front of it.

Feeling pretty good about my progress though. Not too bad for sitting in a field for 30 years.

1967 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside w/283 and 4spdSOLD
2002 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 5.3L SOLD
2015 Chevy Silverado Crew 4X4 5.3L
Saclandman is offline   Reply With Quote