Thread: 47-59 Truck
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 03:13 PM   #12
Rickysnickers

Re: Truck

As always, well said Dennis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I kinda like the thought of a thread for whacky trucks guys find. there is nothing like spending time with a coffee in front of the computer slamming, I mean critiquing, the stuff somebody built, haha. looking close for how they did this or that and the consequences if this or that happens. how their style is not my style and how i wouldn't have done it that way. lol.
to each their own BUT, it has to be safe for the occupants and the other people who use the same road. from other unsuspecting driver's perspective the cars driving along with them are assumed to be in a safe, legal and fully operational condition. it is why we have inspection requirements. if they look crazy or obscene to some they need to be even more legit and legal and fully operational because those would likely be the more common "routine check stop" candidates, as they should be. something driving on the same roads as our wives, kids, grandkids, that looks unsafe NEEDS to be checked for safety and compliance and towed if not, with a future requirement to pass inspection or not be eligible for licensing. maybe some stuff should be designated as for show only or off road use only. like some of the hugely lifted 4x4 trucks that would take the roof off any normal car in a crash. not saying don't build them and have all kinds of fun, just don't expect to drive them on the road any more if they don't comply with the rules of the road. the insurance policies also need to match the vehicle modifications in the case of public liability and coverage for the poor unsuspecting "other guy's" vehicle should something go amiss. as an example regular insurance for a 1932 car would assume the car were stock and may be void if the car were found to be highly "modified for speed"
generally,
-if you make it go faster than it was designed you gotta make it able to stop faster, too. make it stop good first, then add the go fast parts and check other systems to ensure they can handle the new weight, speed, aerodynamics etc
-if you change something that is safety oriented, like, say, lights, you gotta make it legal and to code so somebody who isn't a "car guy" will know if your brakes are on or if you are making a turn soon. i always chuckle at the guys with the totally smoked out tail lights. yeah, nobody can see the lights you did such a great job. now nobody behind you knows when you apply the brakes or use the turn signals unless it is pitch black dark outside
-make changes but think about the consequences and strain on other systems before you do the changes. change other systems to work with the upgraded system. sure, take a 4 banger out and drop in a big block. just don't be surprised when the front springs bottom out, it's real hard to turn and the brakes fade all the time.
-think about the parts around those parts you want to upgrade. think worst case scenario. what if a fuel leak, a coolant leak, an oil leak, where will it drip and what is there in that spot. is a heat shield required, is a mechanical restraint required instead of a zip tie. will engine torque and movement be an issue, what if an engine mount breaks when doing a burn out, is this area going to get too hot for this new part if I mount it here, etc etc.

end of rant. place smiley face here.
this space left intentionally blank (cause I don't have a pic of something totally safe or with unquestionably stellar home done engineering, haha)
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote