View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 11:54 PM   #563
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Thanks guys! I'm very pleased with the way the car looks and sits - now if I can just get the last of the bugs out of it.

nsb29 - not sure why your post about the fluid level didn't show up on the thread but I appreciate the info. I've done some research on the 4L60 series transmissions and several articles I ran across mentioned how being even a half quart low can screw up the line pressure and cause problems.

Today when I had it up in the air, I measured the dipstick tube down to where it enters the case and compared the length to the full level on the dipstick. Adding in the remaining distance to the pan/case interface gave me almost the exact same length. So I feel fairly good about the accuracy of the dipstick markings. From what I've read, the fluid should be at the level of the pan gasket when the engine is running and the trans is in Park. Most of what I've read also indicates these transmissions can be as much as a quart to a quart and a half overfilled with no adverse effects.

I think the safest thing to do is let HRE put a gauge on it and see what's going on. Then if they think adding fluid is the way to go, the gauge should give them instant feedback.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote