View Single Post
Old 03-30-2024, 05:36 PM   #264
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

Getting the hood done. You mark the hole from the underside and cut it based on that. Then flip it over to mark where the scoop goes. Doesn't really make sense when you discover how far out of square things are on the body. For instance, it says to measure 19" from the front edge of the hood to mark a line across the hood where the front of the scoop lines up. When I checked the marks measuring from the back edge they were off by 1/4" only 1 foot apart. The line was obviously crooked compared to the hole in the hood.

My hood is only cut down enough to fit into the opening. I don't have the gaps set yet. I'm going to do that before I actually attach the scoop. I marked the centerline of the hood but that can change depending on me shaving the sides down for the gaps. I could take more from one side or the other to shift the hood one side or the other. I need to mark the centerline on the hood opening in the body so I have a reference point. I know the hole in the hood is ok because it's based off the inset of the inner hood panel. I think I'm going to seal the area between the layers around the opening before I actually attach it also. I think they figure the rivets holding the scoop on will pull the panels together and that's good enough. The manual says to rivet the scoop in place but I might look for options on that. Maybe stainless screws.

I'm kind of disappointed with the scoop. I think it's just plastic. Kind of cheap.

And something a little out there but whenever I think of a hood scoop it reminds me of the Ted Nugent song Wango Tango talking about a Maserati. It's 3:40 into the song...
Now what you gotta do, I'll tell you what you gotta do
You got to pretend your face is a Maserati
It's a Maserati
It's a Maserati
It's a gettin' hotty
It's a Maserati, Maserati, Maserati
It's a fast one too man, that thing's turbocharged
You feel like a little fuel injection honey?
I'll tell ya about it, I'll tell you about it
I'll check out the hood scoop
I gotta get that hood scoop off, shine and shine and buff
I gotta buff it up, buff it up, buff it up, buff it up, buff it up,

Enjoy...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-2Q_dH7f88
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote