View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 09:56 PM   #19
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: State Farm road assistance sucks and broken.

I have Roadside Rescue from Verizon, billed on my cell phone. Costs me $3 a month. Turns out they use Allstate. My Stepside is insured with Allstate, but to have the same service thru the insurance provider would cost me $7 a month. Go figure.
They take the usual 90 minutes to 2 hours. Most roadside gripes occur during rush hour, as per Murphy's Dictum.
Last time I needed it was last summer, about 6 PM, but still 100* outside. My clutch was going out, and I limped in to the Circle K, a local quickie mart chain. I was told a 2 hour wait. After being there long enough to go in the store get a popsicle, quart of chilled water, and use the head -- the headers had cooled off enough for me to slip under and check it out. The piece they call a ''Pivot Nut'' [not a nut, but a wedge sheped bit that links the Clutch Rod with the Clutch Fork] had cracked in 2, after only 52 years as a daily driver. (I later found half of it in the crotch of a header collector.) I decided I could run down the adjusting nuts to the clutch fork directly and get home. It worked. I ran it that way for a month until I got the right part from a vendor.
Another time, also after work in rush hour traffic, my '71 GMC Jimmy 4x4, stopped dead a a traffic lightk, Downtown. This truck has had a dead gas gauge since I bought it, so I figured the log info was wrong, and it was out of gas. Called Roadside Rescue. They sent a guy out within the 90 minutes with 3 gallons of regular [no extra charge]. Alas, it still would not start.The fuel pump was KO, so I had to wait another 2 hours for a real tow home. If I'd just had it towed the first time, I'd have saved some stress. But who can know?

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 06-12-2021 at 12:42 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote