View Single Post
Old 09-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #2
Ironhorse

Re: Back Home - Honor Flight

Next grouping of pics, will take some time as I took nearly 65 digital camera pics during the trip and also others with my cell phone cam. A LOT of pics and will take a bit of time. We got up at 3:15 AM Washington DC eastern time in order to make the trip home. I had not flown since prior to 9/11 and the changes made since then are CONSIDERABLE to say the least. More on that later.

First pic is self explanatory with the meaning of each star. Another pic of the Washington monument. Does not show well in the pic but the lower 1/3rd of the monument is a different color than the upper 2/3rds. During the Civil War work was halted and when began again the original granite stone used was no longer able to be obtained thus a different color granite had to be used.

Third pic shows a depiction of the WW2 Character Kilroy who was known thru out the war as being everywhere and on everything. This was placed on a wall as it had much significance to WW2 veterans.

Fourth pic is of the Lincoln Memorial. Did not have time to climb the stairs to the interior, our time was limited for sure.

Last pic is "The Three Soldiers" near the Vietnam Wall Memorial. Very lifelike and stirred some emotions and memories as I stood there taking in the depicted M-16s and M-60 MG, flak jackets, and even the jungle fatigues. I took an actual jungle fatigue shirt with me that I brought home from Vietnam just as I wore it at the time. SP/5 patches, 84th Engr. Bn. patch with my last time and US Army tags attached. Amazingly I can still wear it after all these years and it still buttons as it should. Maybe just a bit tighter than when I was a lad of 19 but then I am no longer a lad of 19, simply an old man of 72 years with a lot of memories of that time. Many I wish I could forget.
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks

Last edited by Ironhorse; 09-11-2021 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Adding info for each picture
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote