View Single Post
Old 09-13-2022, 06:20 AM   #21
Ironangel

Re: Anybody build a 427 with a 454 block & 396 crank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
Any updates on this? I Just read through this thread and was wondering if you got to make any passes with the new combo?
I got her broke in and running like a top, then I found fleck in the oil! :O It was shiny fleck like hard facing off the bottom of a lifter, almost like ground up chrome plating. So I pulled the motor and put her back on the stand and began the tear down. Lifters and cam were fine, all the mains and rod journals looked excellent, then I seen it! The double roller cam chain had rubbed some chrome off the inside of the chromed timing cover! It was what it looked like, residual chrome rubbed off the inside of the $15 dollar stamped steel timing cover! I bought a $60 dollar cast aluminum cover that had plenty of clearance. It's been one thing after another with this truck! The motor is fine and runs like a top. I went ahead and built a 400 Turbo with a reverse pattern valve body in it, that lead to a Hurst Quarter Stick shifter. I deleted the fan and replaced the radiator with a 4 core and added two electric fans. That Clay Smith cam doesn't make any vacuum so I added a vacuum pump with a vacuum reserve tank. I had disconnected the rear brakes years ago for burnout contests and when I went to reconnect the lines I realized the rear brake reservoir had rusted and corroded and was no longer any good so new Master Cylinder, Prop Valve, all the brake lines, two rear wheel cylinders, and that's where I'm at now, doing a complete brake R&R...That dont include the scatter shield and the drive shaft safety hoops. I had to shorten the two piece drive shaft (front half) 1" inch and install 1350 u-joints with a 400TH slip joint. I installed an Autometer wide band O2 sensor and gauge to help dial the Holley 800 cfm in. I thought I'd have it ready last Spring but nope, these brakes are dealin me a fit. I plan on making it to the track before the snow flies but, but, but who knows. She did take a top ten trophy home last week at the local car show...
Attached Images

71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote