View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 05:47 PM   #128
68Gold/white

Re: '69 C10 - Black on Black

A good friend of mine had a 66 C-10, LWB, (this was back in the 80's...)underside essentially the same as a 67-72. I had been under my 68, at that time, working on something, got an idea about routing exhaust out the back. Bends in pipes are restrictive, and a pain to make correctly

He's a legit machinist, and can fabricate ANYTHING...
I said, Why not make a couple of bends, just behind the headers, and run the pipes straight out the back,outside the frame, put the mufflers where they need to be????
He says, what about over the rear end???
I told him to calculate how far down the extreme movement of the suspension will be, put the pipe above that. The rear coils are only going to compress, so far (his rear coils were stock)
I visit him in a few weeks, and he's got the system installed on his pickup, exactly as we talked about...he was thrilled!!!
Back then, the only good sounding, good flowing mufflers were the Sonic turbo mufflers. Don't remember who made them. They were maybe 18" long. He complained they were a little loud, and he bought 2 more of those mufflers. Had 2 mufflers on each side, running end to end. Sounded real nice, but still pretty unrestrictive. THat 66 had a SBC 400 in it, ran incredibly well!!!
68Gold/white is online now   Reply With Quote