Thread: 47-55.1 Fuse box placement 50 gmc
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2021, 11:09 PM   #11
mr48chev

Re: Fuse box placement 50 gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
whatever you decide, try to think about when you need to access it. nothing worse than having to remove a bunch of stuff or lay upside down and only look out of one eyeball to see what you're doing. usually not in a great mood when a fuse blows.
This should have a high degree of importance. You don't want the panel in an inaccessible spot where you can't reach it easily or have to remove too many panels to get to it.

One never seems to have an issue that calls for looking at your fuse panel when you have your grubbies on. It is always on the way to work, on the way to and event or out on a cruise with your "good" truck shirt and your good casual pants.

I'm thinking seriously about putting the fuse panel behind the driver's seat in what amounts to a box that has an easily removable cover on it. That will take a longer wiring harness but will be easier to deal with. The other option might be on a slide out tray either under the dash or under the driver's seat.

A friend had a fuse and relay panel in his car about 25 years ago that was on a hinged tray that dropped down from the dash and then slid out to where it was easy to reach. He had the harness rigged in a way that it was pulled up out of the way when the panel was back up in place but easily stretched out when he pulled the tray out. You could sit in the driver's seat and check fuses and relays. I only saw it once at a show when he was showing it to me and don't think I got any photos but they would be on film and printed if I have any.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote