Thread: In-N-Out Burger
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2023, 05:10 PM   #74
farmall

Re: In-N-Out Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I think that is more of an artifact of passing generations.
Making hand cut fries is way more of an artform simply throwing thm in some hot oil. Cooking them twice (pre blanching and then final crisping) is the key.
Some people also like a saltwater soak first too. The salt will draw some of the natural moisture out, resulting in better overall cooking. They don't even start to brown until that moisture is gone or you burn up the outside and mushy in the middle.

ETA, I like me some In-N-Out, Jack in the Box, or Whataburger, but I think it's mostly because they aren't available here. The closest any of these places is to me is the In-N-Out in East St.Louis. Its about 8 hrs west.
True. That is what it is like. I cant get it here. There is a 5 Guys. It is a pain in the ass to go into Bend. The town went from 20K to 100+K and I just avoid it. The nearest Popeyes is in the Portland area and that is way too Fd up.

I worked at a good steakhouse in Dallas as a kid washing dishes and making fries and chicken fried steaks. The place had its own butcher shop in the back and the owner had a ranch that supplied the beef.
The huge potatoes went in a machine like a washing machine with a tub made of a rock like substance.
It would spin and take the skin off. Then I would hold the spud in a wall mounted cutter with a big lever that would force the spud down through the blades. I would say they were .50" openings.
The fries would drop in a 50 Gal. plastic drum of water and I poured in a packet of white powder that I thought was to keep the fries from turning grey.
I dont remember how long they sat in the water. Man they were good.
I will tell you about the chicken fried steaks later. The sun is out now.
89 GMC Jimmy Stock https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=810958
71 LT1 Convertible, 72 Coupe
69 CJ5, 75 CJ6, 67 M715, 72 M35A2 Bobbed, 95 XLC2
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote