View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #124
May70

Re: Project: Montezuma

The arrow you put in post #122 is the ledge that is too tall on the stamp. The way I see it you have a few options:
  • Cut out the entire inner rocker like I did and make your own inner rocker with the proper ledge distance. The way you create the custom inner rocker is you actually fit the outer rocker and use self tapping screws (dont weld in). Create the cuts and tweaks you want to in order make the outer rocker fit how you want it. Then you can go from the underside and make a template to bend your own inner rocker. I did that by making a paper template then making a small 1" wide trial piece and tweaking it the way I wanted. If you're careful you can actually mark your bends on the test piece and bend it out straight to have exact measurements to mark off on your full inner rocker.
  • Cut out the entire inner rocker, install your outer rocker and after you have it all burned in create an "L" bracket. The problem with that is, you don't have much support on the rocker and dirt/mud/water/salt will sit up in the rocker because it will act like a big shelf. You would be surprised how much rigidity and support the inner rocker provides to the outer rocker. Plus when you get in the truck, you put all your weight on the outer rocker when you step on it. Pic of an "L" bracket below.
  • If you cut out a 'window' like you proposed in post #123 (that was my first idea) the problem is the inner rocker will now not be tall enough to reach the bottom lip of your outer rocker. Essentially if you cut the window out to lower the outer rocker, the distance you lower the outer rocker will now be the distance of the gap between the bottom of your inner and the bottom of your outer. So instead of patching in a piece on the bottom of my rocker, I elected to make my own so there is no seam and its cleaner (all one piece).
Attached Images

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote