View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #243
bollybib

Re: Jim's 1969 Custom/20

MORE AND MORE MISCELLANEOUS FIXITS (1 of 8)

I’ve been using my truck as a daily driver for slightly more than one year now, and things keep popping up that need fixin’ or made mobettah. Since January 2012, I haven’t posted anything about the work I’ve done on my truck. I completed a whole bunch of fixit stuff since then. I also recently revamped the starter wiring and installed hard fuel lines. I’ll cover the starter and fuel line stuff later.

In addition, I have several projects on my list of things to do:

*Reseal the intake manifold
*Replace the spark plug wires
*Install a brake booster
*Install new wheel bearings and brake drums on the rear
*Upgrade the wet side of the AC system.

I’ll write these up whenever I get around to completing them.

Anyway, here goes for More and More Miscellaneous Fixits !

Air Cleaner

I dislike being bombarded with corporate logos (never mind that bigass Chevrolet logo on the tailgate, I can’t see it most of the time anyway !). One in particular that kept bugging me was Edelbrock stamped on the air cleaner cover. I bought a plain one from Summit and now I feel at ease when I open the hood.

Name:  01 100_7454 30pct.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  23.5 KB

Armrests

Both armrests that came with the truck were split open on the top surface. I bought a pair of reproduction armrests advertised as “saddle” but I wasn’t happy with them. The color was way off and their construction was less robust than OEM.

I bought another pair of saddle originals from the Parts Board that were in poor shape, thinking I could fix them up to look OK. They turned out to be too worn out so into the old parts bin they went. I kept looking for a better pair.

Eventually, I found two saddle originals that were satisfactory. I also sold the repro ones (both Parts Board transactions !).

Name:  02 100_3917 15pct.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  74.2 KB
As Bought

Name:  03 100_5744 15pct.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  80.8 KB
Repro

Name:  04 100_6168 30pct.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  101.1 KB
OG from Parts Board

Backup Light Lenses

The ones that came with the truck were damaged, large chunks of the flanges were broken off. I bought a set of lenses off the Parts Board, and although they looked better, they were not the original bullseye type. Eventually I found a set of bullseyes at a decent price on the Board and got those. All I needed to do was give them a good bath and they look fine.

Name:  05 100_7432 30pct.jpg
Views: 1486
Size:  19.6 KB

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911

Last edited by bollybib; 09-28-2012 at 10:10 AM.
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote