View Single Post
Old 12-03-2021, 07:50 AM   #3
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: Door repair on 1969 c10

The fine thread bolts can be replaced with coarse thread bolts many times with just running a coarse thread tap through where the stripped out fine thread bolt was located.

Make sure you have the tap running perfectly perpendicular to the door shell or you may not be able to get the new bolt through the hinge and get it to engage the threads well.

If tapping for a coarse thread bolt won't work then you can install a Heli-Coil thread repair insert into the offending locations. The tap size for this is larger than the coarse thread tap size by quite a bit so you don't have to worry about not being able to install the thread repair insert after trying the coarse thread bolt approach first.

Another option is to weld up the stripped out hole then re-drill and tap for the original fine thread bolt. I had to do this on my Malibu where some of the factory bolts broke off in the door shell and the body tub. The removal process oversized the holes too much so the best approach was to weld up and start with new metal. I made a drilling template that registered off the adjacent good holes so I could get the new holes drilled in the proper locations.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote