View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 11:18 PM   #355
1971_c10

Re: C10CJ: A Pro-touring '71 Stepside on a No Limit Pro-C10 Chassis

Goodguys time! Time to race! and find out how those two brand new coolers worked. First thing was to get tech'd. Woohoo! Got my sticker!

Name:  IMG_0173.jpg
Views: 1519
Size:  78.3 KB

So I did things kinda backwards between Friday and Saturday. Not by design, but more driven by fun. Friday I spent the day getting the feel of how things worked since this was my first Goodguys Autocross and also getting a feel for the truck on a longer course compared to the C10 Nats. I started off my first run with a 44.444 sec run. Right away I was in 3rd. I then just drove on Friday and didn't change anything. Practiced driving. Got down to a 42.134. Then I went home and decided, I'm going to make some changes. I had the camber set about -1 deg and caster around 6 deg and toe in (I'm not 100% sure on the amount, somewhere between 1/16 and 1/8").

So what'd I change? Bumped the camber to -2 deg Friday night. Make a difference? You bet. Shaved 1 second off my times. First run Sat morning was a 41.03. Yeah! Made a few runs here, ping ponging between 2nd and 3rd. Then, decided to make a Rob change. I went one turn out on the tie rods. Yep, I did. Just keep count of the turns. My best guess is 1 turn got me close to 0 toe. BAM! 1 more second off my time, down in to the 40.somethings. Ran a 40.198 as my quickest.

I then really started playing with suspension and having a blast chasing the guy in first place. I wound up testing -2.2 and -2.5 deg camber. Then talked to one of the pro racers. He said I really needed -3 deg camber. He's got a lot more experience than I do, so I tried it. He also said run some toe out. So I went another turn on the tie rods, so 2 turns out total. I definitely had toe out now. The turn in became very aggressive. Maybe a little too aggressive for my skill as the truck was much less forgiving on entrance speed but would run the hairpins on rails if I got the speed right. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the setup to work well for me. But I had a ton of fun going through all the trials. And Rob's stuff is so easy to adjust at the track. I did not play with caster though as I need to get the weight off the wheels to do that and I didn't have a jack, but 6 is a good number so I stuck with it. All in all, I had a blast, and met some awesome racers in the process.

Name:  IMG_0202.jpg
Views: 1529
Size:  58.9 KB

Then on Sunday, the All American Sunday, I chose to just hang out in the show and shine area. Found some other C10s to hang out with for the day. Good times!
Name:  IMG_0212.jpg
Views: 1519
Size:  80.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0211.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  79.1 KB

Now, you're probably going, well, what about the coolers? How'd they work? So they both worked very well. The power steering cooler kept the fluid cool and when I checked the fluid there was no foaming or evidence of fluid being pushed out of the reservoir like at the C10 Nats, and this course had way more steering with 5 hairpins, mini slalom, and a chicane. The Derale trans cooler worked very well. I had no issues during the runs and the trans temps (hot line coming out of the trans is where I measure) stayed below 200 F for the racing. In some stop and go traffic it would creep up to 210-220 F but I just force the converter to lock in 2nd and that pulls the fluid temps down. That's purely a function of the super high stall speeds I'm running. Running down the highway the cooler was keeping the temp around 190 F and that was with no fans as I found a bug in the ECU SW (Holley is aware and working a fix) causing my custom input temps to be wrong in the ECU so it wasn't turning the trans fan on at 190 like I thought it was. So I'd say in the short term that's a success. I'm still contemplating putting the trans cooler in the areas I mentioned earlier, like under the cab or bed floor, but tucked behind the front bumper may be the spot for a while.

Build Thread for my '71 Pro-Touring: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722029
My C10 has it's own facebook page! www.facebook.com/c10cj - it is a public page so no facebook account required to browse through.

Last edited by 1971_c10; 09-11-2018 at 06:18 PM. Reason: fixed a couple typos
1971_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote