View Single Post
Old 10-23-2021, 07:36 PM   #144
landarts
landarts

Re: 71 K20 Idaho Edition

Got the fenders ready to go back on and started looking at the attention the firewall needed so I allowed good old project creep to step in. Pulled the motor and found several wiring issues, bad spark plug wires, cracked exhaust manifolds, and a few more minor issues with the motor. While it is out I will freshen it up and add a few new items and paint to the motor.

I inspected the firewall and found no rust spots to repair which is always a good thing. On the driver's side where the emergency brake is bolted to the firewall, the metal was torn/ripped from the stress of the emergency brake being used. I cleaned up the metal real good then laid down a few spot welds and some hammer work to get it straightened up again. After that, I added a washer to each hole and spot welded those over the top of the repair. Then added some spot putty to clean it up. Then laid down some plastic on the garage floor and began spraying the firewall down with some Oil Eater Degreaser. Let that sit for about ten minutes and then go over the whole thing with a green Scotch-Brite and flush with some hot water and a sponge. Tomorrow I will get it scuffed up, cleaned and ready for paint on Monday.

While the paint cures for a couple of days on the firewall I will be getting the motor stripped down, cleaned, and prepped for paint. By then a few of the items I ordered for the motor should be in the shop to install.
Attached Images

68 Second Chance
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
72 K10 Custom
71 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote