View Single Post
Old 07-22-2020, 01:55 PM   #31
AussieinNC

Re: What should I do with this CL find 6.0L LQ9 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
Oh great! NOW you tell me. I only took one rod cap off and one crank cap. The crank caps are numbered but the rods do not seem to be. I am pretty sure I know how they came off... Do I have to replace all the bolts now anyways?
Rod bolts are TTY...single use only....I have heard of several methods to reuse the stock bolts, but to me, thats a bit like doing brain surgery on yourself....

I always replace the following with new bolts anytime I do a build....rods, mains, cylinder heads....ARP is my supplier of choice but there are others around....

I use the following method to swap out rod bolts....maintain cap to rod orientation...bolts are replaced one at a time...(the other bolts should be tight!)
Pull the new bolt up to torque only...then replace the other bolt to torque only...if you are using GM bolts, follow their instructions for final torque...If using aftermarket...follow the bolt manufacturers instructions.

If you put one of these rod/cap combinations together and the rod locks to the crank, the cap is on backwards...note the bearing tabs in the pic below are against each other rod/cap...

If you find a rod bearing bore is out of round...the old practice was to machine the matching faces of the rod and cap then hone the bore back to specs....you cannot do that with the LS family of rods...
Attached Images

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote