Thread: Dads 1966 C-10
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #23
CustomCab66

Re: Dads 1966 C-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65c10restomod View Post
what are your plans to get the cluster gauges to work with the ls engine?
65c10restomod,

The fuel gauge wiring doesn’t change.

The oil pressure gauge just uses a pressure line just as before.

The amp gauge wiring stays the same but the 120-130 amp alternator might be a little hard on the old amp gauge, voltage gauge would be a better option. Since the wiring for the old voltage regulator is not needed I remove them.
20 gauge red from regulator to horn relay
18 gauge dark blue from regulator to to alternator
20 gauge white from regulator to alternator
12 gauge red is increased in size to about an 8 gauge. I just used what ever I had around the garage

The new alternator has a higher amperage output compared to the original 66 unit, and in order to take advantage of the increased output I increased the size of the wire from 12gauge to 8 gauge. Be resourceful I used the red wire that I pulled out of a conventional household dryer cord.

The temp gauge, well you just drill a hole in the top of the water pump And thread it 1/2” pipe. Then you thread the temp sender into the pump. Works perfect. Now the engine has two temp senders. One for the gauge and the other for the computer.

Speedometer is pending. But there are several options out there and most of them are not free. Cable X, or replace the tail housing on the tranny. Or convert the speedo to electronic which has proved to be harder than expected. I’m still working on the one in mine and research and development is also not cheap.
Attached Images

CustomCab66 is offline   Reply With Quote