View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 03:05 PM   #23
e015475

Re: 49 GMC Five Window

A progress update..............

Checking the inner fender clearance to the headers. Needed a little massaging to clear. Everything is dusty in the metal shop - note the paint stick shims on the radiator support.

Details on the passenger side. Looking for about an inch clearance between the header and the inner fender. Dimples in the inner fender are pretty subtle and made to look like an extension of the factory contours.

Little planishing and skim coat of filler needed to finish the inner fender bump-outs. Too cold to spray primer this week - maybe it will warm up this weekend.

Will definitely need the rear discharge ports for the Sanborn compressor and to tap the water pump heater lines so I can fit a 90 deg turn downs to clear the inner fender.

Fit up of the front fenders. Very happy with the wheel to fender clearance I got with re-machining the wheel face. Wife is saying she wants to see the truck in steel wheels, whitewalls and GMC hub caps........oh well.

Found a painter who's work I really liked. Trick will be getting the truck out of the metal shop in the condition the painter will accept without wanting to reprime it and block it again. I'm shooting for having it so he'll guide coat it one more time and block it with 600 grit without doing anymore prep. That's the plan anyway.

Back to the grindstone............
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote