View Single Post
Old 02-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #10
Willys_MB

Re: Holley Carb adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
I suggest modifying the '68 accelerator push rod set up to '72 style cable throttle. I ran the old push/pull rod for a long time but it was cr@ppy. Linkages came loose, small bits fell off, it even iced up once in the mountains. Too much of a Rube Goldberg. I changed to a cable and it was never smoother. And you can mount your carb in any orientation you want.
This is the cable I used. A GM cable/gas pedal assembly off a '71/'72 truck was used in the cab.
I used a Jeg's throttle return spring to retract the spring on the engine side. [A big screendoor spring to the brake master cylinder was ruled out as too Retro-Jethro].
I second the pedal upgrade. I just did this on my 68 and I wish I had done this YEARS ago. No more crappy linkage and I routed my throttle cable the way I wanted it routed. The only thing I'd suggest is spend the money on a quality custom cable, either from a shop, or one of the DIY kits. I had a HELL of a time finding one that fit. You'll be so happy you did it and you'll never look back at the old linkage