View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 11:11 AM   #57
ChevyRacefan

Re: Thoughts on keeping truck original or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
This is why you should always start with the truck you WANT to drive. I would never buy nor want a "base" truck. So, I found and purchased a '71 with A/C. So, with power disk brakes, A/C, and power steering it is super easy to live with daily if I so choose. There is a reason many call the 67-72 the first of the daily driver classics. I opted to change my truck just a little: 3-point seat belts, aluminum radiator, A/C condenser cooling fans, headlight relay harness, houndstooth seat upholstery, modern head unit/speakers, and "Rhino" lined bed. Everything else is pretty much as Chevy built it.

This weekend it will be back on the road after rust repair, repaint, and new interior. It has taken me 14 months to do all this work...super excited to get it back on the road. And, already planning the next major task which will be an LS swap to make it even more daily driver friendly. Just waiting for the current replacement engine to crap the bed.
I like the look of the older stuff, But the stock stereo not so much, the lack of highway speeds, not so much, The bench seat support, not so much.
I will change things so I enjoy driving it, it will get used tons more this way.
Everyone is different and for the guys that putt putt down to a show after unloading off a trailer a mile down the road and sit in a lawn chair. bone stock might be what they like.
I drove mine a year to see what needed to be changed before I just blew it apart. Mine has a/c front disc (manual) p/s, v8. Automatic.
needs o/d if I am to keep the 411 gears, needs better ducting for the heater and a/c to work better, Needs A better stereo. needs more power.
Would like it a little lower, less body roll, less rear brake bias for harder stops without locking up the rears, bucket seats or a better bench, maybe even power windows. just because reaching over to roll down the pass side is not easy while buckled in.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote