View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 03:57 AM   #11
Mike_The_Grad

Re: 1964 c10 Aux. cooling/helper fan.

The sending unit is either a Standard Industries or AC Delco brand. I dont recall off the top of my head.

Well it took me some time to get the fan and wiring done. Why you ask? Well first the issue with the crossbrace. So I tried to just remove the top 2 rivets to see if that would allow me enough room to slide the fan in. Nope. So then I decided to remove the bottom 2 rivets from the crossbrace. Well you have to remove the grille with attached headlights. No biggie, but then I remembered I grounded the headlights to the core support behind the grille. Again not a big deal. After successfully removing the crossbrace with no collateral damage i had to finagle the fan in from under where the hood latch is mounted. License plate in the way. Ok, lil bending not a problem. Then I remembered I should check the fan to see if it actually works. (The fan was a return from another customer, which is why I got it for 1/2 price.) So, pull fan back out. 12v battery, fan runs excellent. Quiet smooth. So back in it goes. Looks right at home in there and with the hood shut you would never know. Then came the fun stuff, the wiring. I will say that wiring never really intimidated me. I've rewired my 1972 c10, my dads 1964 c10, my buddys 1971 c10(stock harness), and am helping another friend figure out her 1975 jimmy wiring. I've already installed dual electric fans with relays in my own 72 c10, so a single fan is no problem. The thing I dislike about wiring is making it look nice and neat and like you know what you are doing. Sure I could string wires from here over to there and around this and tape it off boom done. But that's not how I operate. I can say that routing the wires takes the longest time of the project. I started using the nice woven split wire loom, heat-shrinkable connectors only, soldering and heat shrink when necessary, try to maintain color codes and continuity throughout. Takes time and thinking it out start to finish, but man does it look good when you are done. I'll post some pictures in the next few days. Back to the fan situation. Turns out after 4 blown 30 amp fuses, I found out something wasnt right. Lol. I had power in and out flipped around. And when I switched them back, the only thing I was able to achieve was making the switch light up when I flipped it on. Lol. Discovered the rocker switch schematic was backwards. Swapped ground for power into the switch and bam fan kicked right on. No problem... these trucks really are fun to work on. Tons of room, my dads truck only has about 15 or 20 wires in the whole thing. And plenty of room under the dash. He hasn't road tested it yet as we are waiting on the sm420 trans to come back from the trans shop. Whined so bad in 3rd and 4th that I could here him in my truck following him up the road. That's over my dual 3" super 40 flowmasters. Lol. I will check back in after we get some miles on it and let y'all know how it turns out.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote