Thread: 52 inch springs
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2022, 12:10 PM   #6
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: 52 inch springs

If it were me I’d do some digging over on CK5.com over the whole 52” spring conversion.

Reason being is unless you are building a full on crawler the benefits don’t lean to a road going truck too well.

The stock rear 52” springs are soft. Most of the complaints I’ve read is on the street/highway there is a lot of sway and generally mushy feeling to the suspension. It’s bad enough many trailer them to the trailhead vs driving them long distances on the highway.

The length allows more flex with less of an arch than say a 4-6” lift spring of stock length. More flex come as more wheel travel and changes to shock mounts need to be addressed as even average “lift kit” shocks may not have enough travel for a 52” swap.

I think part of the handling issue comes in from most converting to crossover steering to take full advantage of the new higher wheel travel/flex. Doing so typically will eliminate a factory sway bar if you had one as it takes the same space as the new crossover steering.

There are guys driving trucks with 52” springs on the street/highway but they have taken considerable time in taking care of those issues. ORD does make a sway bar kit specifically for trucks with crossover steering to address that issue.

I personally wouldn’t go to 52’s for my setup as it would be overkill. I don’t hit the rocks that hard and mine sees thousands of highway miles just getting to trailheads.

If you are going crawling it’s a great setup for sure. If you are doing mild wheeling with street duty I’d look at stock length softride springs or custom units from ORD, Alcan or Deaver.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote