Thread: 52 inch springs
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 02:00 AM   #11
'63GENIII

Re: 52 inch springs

A little late to the party but here's my .02 from first hand experience...

Even though I did not "convert" from a C to a K, I ran the 52s in the front and the 63s in the rear of my '63. I built mine with "truck" use in mind. Hauling rock, firewood, dirt bikes, towing and simply going down the highway when I feel like taking it for a drive.
I wanted to keep the original ride height of my '63. No higher and no lower. I had 35" BFG MT's on it at the time. My focus was on having a better ride for the 3 to 6 hour trips that I frequently take it on.
The hangers you end up using are really up to you, (I ran the B52s) but it really boils down to the springs that you use. I took the trial an error approach and found a set from what I was told was a '73 Heavy Half ton. To be honest, I got them because they were close and the price was right. I figured that they'd be fine supporting the big block, hydraulic winch and a lightweight warn bumper. Maybe too simplistic but I reckoned that I would put all of that stuff in the bed of a truck at the same time to haul it somewhere, why wouldn't the springs work on the front axle? Reality of it was, I made a lucky guess.
When I first drove it, it was without the front sway bar. I didn't even have one yet. Full transparency here - this will test your sphincter muscles in very short order. It was a much different sway than anything Id ever driven. Also more transparency - the addition of an 1-1/8 (or maybe a 1-1/4) off of a mid '70s Blazer easily hemmed up the issue.
Zoomad is correct in that the springs do provide more travel and if I were to be in situations where I may be flexing to the point of getting full droop, I would certainly install some limit straps or some trick coil over things without question. I've never bottomed the shocks that I know of. They are some 14 year old Rancho RS9000s that I crawl under and adjust once in a while when I think of it . This is a tow rig and doubles as a daily for my son, myself and friends occasionally. It doesn't have "personality" or hiccups when it comes to drivability and in its current configuration, Ive got right around 35k miles combined towing / driving and just being a truck.

I know that the 52s aren't everybody's cup of tea but they provided me the following that the short springs probably couldn't touch..
1. The opportunity to get fantastic ride quality in the truck I love to drive.
2. Retain its intended capability. (in fact towing / hauling is better now)
3. Allowed me to move the front axle forward 1" which centered the wheel in the wheel well (no more tire rub on the back of the fender).
4. Kept the lift about as original as possible. Maybe 1/2" higher than before. The truck had 4" factory blocks in the rear and some horrible add a leaf in the front.
5. Kept the stock push pull power steering configuration. Never an issue with bump steer. Never needed a stabilizer.
6. The truck will comfortably stay with the traffic I encounter here. I normally drive 70-75 on the highway but 80 - 85 hanging with some of those newer power strokes isn't an issue either.

Whenever someone rides in the truck, there always the comment about the ride. Its pretty great if I say so myself. Never really rock crawled it so I can't comment on that.

I wish I was closer to you. I'd let you take her for a drive in a heartbeat. If youre ever down my way, get ahold of me and we could meet up.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote