View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Cheeseman

Project "Home Wrecker"

I have been meaning to get a build thread started for a while but as we all know, life gets in the way. A short introduction to myself is that I am a midwestern farmer and have been into vehicle customization and motor sports (mainly offroad as of recent) my whole life. I decided last fall to part with my rock buggy and build a street truck, so this is the begining of my build and I will update as things take place....feel free to comment, poke fun or just call be out if you see that I am doing something way wrong or is a safety risk to others

I found an add on CL that had a "67 project truck" so I called and the guy lived in Alaska, it was at his moms and it was in the back of a field...and no title, cash only. Sounds a bit fishy, but I loaded the trailer and drove 3 hours with cash (and a .45 just in case) and once I got there everything was legit and even got a bill of sale. So it came with about 10 totes of parts and the bed was jammed full of parts...most unusable.

Once home I realized this was not what I wanted other then the bed, so I took it off and started on a search for another SWB that was a bit more complete. I stumbled across a 69 SWB that was again 3 hours away but this time the other direction. So once again off with the trailer and scored this truck that had been sitting in a guys barn awaiting a restoration and he gave up on it. Once home and a $50 tune up, we found out the fun way it has posi!

While there the guy mentions to me he has another 69 parts truck that he would throw in for FREE if I would go and get it out of his back yard, so I agreed to take it the next weekend.....as you can imagine, my wife is becoming rather "thrilled" with the new collection of trucks at this point. When I arrived to pick up the other truck he failed to tell me the springs were out of it and it had flat tires. It was too low to get on the trailer so creative thinking and a winch and I had it loaded and heading to the shop.

After getting it home, I decided that its cab is way better than the brown one and it is time to get to moving on things, so I pulled the teal cab off and it is currently at the body shop getting the new floors, rockers and cab corners in it....so much for being "better". I also pulled the bed off the SWB and started to prepare the frame for the c-notch and painting....

knowing that the frame needed prepped all over, and that I needed to pull the motor for this LS swap, I pulled the front clip...and decided to yank the cab at that point.