View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #91
Beelzeburb
Devil's in the Details

Beelzeburb: Part 33

Hey, wait a second. Me throwing something away? Impossible!

It just took some more digging through the herd of parts boxes to find a vapor canister. It’s fairly simple and straightforward with one input from the tank vent line and one purge to the throttle body. There is a larger outlet that’s marked “air cleaner” but it’s blocked off with a snug little bespoke cap that looks factory installed. I’m thinking it might get mounted to the front inner fender somewhere, out of sight as much as possible but still keeping it above the level of the gas tank so that it can operate properly. I finally obtained the correct Light Duty Truck Fuel & Emissions Service Manual Supplement today. After simply thumbing through it, many questions have been answered so far. For instance, I had been wondering if my engine originally had a knock sensor or not, but according to the manual it didn’t. That’s one less thing to worry about finding and wiring in.

Here’s another recently completed part, the trans hump.

Obsessive compulsive much? Yes, I bought ten new stainless steel bolts and washers to hold it down even though the original pieces were still in serviceable condition. I’m going to have a plethora of 1/2” bolts left over when I’m done (would you say I have a plethora of piņatas?). It was coated top and bottom with two coats of POR-15.

As promised, I’ve got some photos of my solution for the fitting incompatibility at the receiver/drier. Yesterday morning UPS brought the 30” -6 line I ordered from Vintage Air. Instead of the original style line which had two male fittings, this one had one male and one female. I broke out the tubing bender and formed it to approximate the original item.

It worked exactly as intended. I coulnd’t find a female-female line for the other side, so instead I used some leftover flexible hose and fittings to make it work.

No more uncongenial (yes, I do own a few thesauri) fittings!

It’s a complete, sealed system now. There are very few items left on the A/C install to-do list and I’m quickly whittling it down further. Last night I secured the heater inlet hose to the block with a clamp so that it can’t melt on the header. A 3’ piece of heat resistant hose sleeve is on the way to cover it as well. Today I plumbed the heater valve inline at the back of the engine. I ran the defroster flex hoses to some new vents that I bought from Brothers recently. While trying to take a picture of all the vents together with their adapters some dachshund puppy decided to play Gojira with the parts I’d stood up on the floor and then steal the focus in my photo.

I also fabbed the remaining spark-plug-wire-holder-bracket-adapter-majig yesterday.

They both gained two coats of primer and some flat black paint that I found in the local gaggle of spray cans.

Very inconspicuous now. Speaking of subtle and unostentatious items, there’s a new hole in the license plate bracket for my hidden hitch.

Stealthy indeed. The only part I can’t figure out is how to put the retaining clip in the receiver pin because both the license plate bracket and hitch get in the way. I’ve got all the bolts on the plate bracket tightened down now with the flip up frame and license plate slapped on. My tags seem to have mysteriously expired nine years ago. Oh, one final thing to mention. Today I won an E-bay auction for a NOS pair of ‘68-’72 Utah license plates that just might find their way onto the Suburban when it comes time to register this thing once more.

Last edited by Beelzeburb; 03-25-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Beelzeburb is offline   Reply With Quote