View Single Post
Old 05-30-2021, 11:20 PM   #151
89AKurt

Re: I'm legit again, my "new" '68 LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Sorry, Kurt. I didn't get you. Did your '69 have a Mr Goodwrench 350 or a 307?
Love the coffee table gag.
Personally, I have no experience with running a 307. I've had 350s, a 454 and I'm on my third * 292 L6.
The BBC 454 was big ugly beautiful brute with a bigdog thirst. In my '67 4x4 K/10 Suburban it was a tank. Off road, it was bruteforce vs nature. But the fuel gauge needle spun down in equal and opposite reaction to the speedo needle going up. I had the stock underbelly 20 gallon tank, and a PO's homebrew 16 Gal aux tank [made from an Army surplus gunpowder can -- w/ no gas gauge], even then I had to keep a lookout for gas stations on the way. 6 City -- 8 Highway. And only 91 octane please. Not a feasable rebuild when gas is around $2.95/Gal for Regular. Also Fred Flintstone had better brakes.
Not sure what displacement V8 was in my '71 Jimmy when I bought it. Local Unocal mechanics said it was a strong motor when checking it out for me
before I bought it. PO said it was a 327. He lied. Might have been a 307 or a 350. It flunked Pima County emissions. I played around with the carbs. It came with a non-original QJet. Traded that in at Checker Auto -- not knowing any better -- got a dog of Reman QJet back. Then I tried a Holley 780 CFM doublepumper, a friend gave me free. I was using some 105 Octane, when it sucked valves. Valves on Cyl's 6 and 7 got loose enough to crush the ceramic middles of both spark plugs. [Some bad JuJu that's over my head there.]
Anyway I bought a fresh Crate 350, Weiand intake, Carter Performance 9625S AFB, and Heddman headers. Winning combo. Later, a GM HEI.
If you had an L6 [I-6s are in Fords and Toyotas] I'd be emotionally involved, as my C/10 came with a 292 and I've rebuilt 2 of them. If you had a 250, I'd talk you into a 292. It's got a lot of torque, doesn't rev very high, but mule-like endurance and longevity. I got 250,000 out of a 1977 build.
[* Original Engine -- rebuilt after 25 years in boxes]

Flame war topics are:
V8 vs L6
Headers vs Rams Horn
QJets vs Holleys vs Edlebrocks [Carter dropped out of the Carb game]
Wix vs AC Delco
The '69 had a 350 Mr. Goodwrench. The '48 I had last century, had a 235, not the original 216, was good enough for up to 50 MPH. I have to look now, to see what carb and distributor I got. Yea brakes have something to be desired, used to tripling stopping distance.

Good to know what subjects to avoid.