View Single Post
Old 07-19-2021, 02:36 AM   #157
89AKurt

Re: I'm legit again, my "new" '68 LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
On the '68 C/10 Stepside, I swapped in a 3.73 12 Bolt Corp rear with Eaton posi when my first diff burned up. That was Mid '80s. Got it off a '69 GMC in a junkyard in Tucson and had Simmons Enterprises set it up for me. Had to buy one new axle shaft from the Chevy dealer. Still running good.

The differential and axle bearings burned up my '67 K/10 Suburban. [3.73 12 Bolt, of course]This time [Mid '90s] GM was on strike, so I couldn't find new axles. Calling around, Moser Custom Axles made me the best deal. New 6 lug ''stock-like'' custom axles for a good price. Actually the hub flange was an inch and a half lesser in diameter than stock. Moser told me they'd warranty them for life. OK Sold. Also put in an Auburn posi. Tucson Differential did the set-up. Then a carb fire grounded the Sub, and she sat.

In 2010, I had to pull some old IH Scout hulks [an ex-friend had left on my property for 8 years] out of their ruts with my '71 GMC also 3.73 12 Bolt with factory Eaton Posi. About a couple weeks later, the rear end on the Jimmy lunched at a CircleK, a half mile from my house.
I pulled the rear prop shaft and limped home in front wheel drive. Then Dennis, my Buddy, and I cannibalized the Suburban's Auburn posi rear and put it on the Jimmy. Still working great.

I do need to get the GMC's OEM Eaton rearend rebuilt some day, but 25 - 30 years ago I dropped a grand doing that. So I know I can't afford it right now, since there's precious little work.
Positraction is neater than sliced bread, though. Only thing I miss is deliberately fishtailing on dirt roads. That was fun, but Posi won't let you do it.
Thanks for the input! I'm not going to fishtail (or do the Ken Block gymkhana) with this truck! LOL

Didn't work on Blue Cloud, instead I pulled this 1970 Raleigh Chopper from the shop rafters, which has been there for about 35 years. Cleaned and lubed it, and hacked a chainguard from a range front. Prescott Antique Auto Club show coming soon, first week of August. Wanted to accessorize. LOL

I took more pictures than this.