View Single Post
Old 09-01-2021, 05:56 AM   #168
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: I'm legit again, my "new" '68 LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89AKurt View Post
I've been seeing a wide range of opinions about keeping the 307, if modifications are worth it (generally not worth it). Long as it purrs like it is, not touching it.

I'm planning to go camping, in the Monument Valley area, depending on how it's going other places nearby too. Was thinking that deflating the tires on dirt/sandy roads would help, so got a compressor. Tested it out, found the power cord needs to be about 6 feet longer.
You can rig a longer DC extension if you can solder. Just get a couple of cigar lighter plugs, one male, one female and two runs of 12 gauge line in different colors. You can either use the cigarette lighter as a power source with a female cigar plug at the other end. Or a couple of larger alligator clips and a female at the end.
I have both. A pair of gator clips on a 5' run and a female at the end. This allows for connecting the solar panel for charging while the battery negative terminal is off. It can also add length to an extension [about 8'] with the matched plug ends.
Since you have a Longbed, you will need a longer run. Measure from the dash plug, around the seat, out the door or window and out to your farthest tire, and add a couple more feet for comfort. Tie some old shoelaces to one end of each cord, and coil them and tie them when not in use. Tuck the coiled line in a big [gallon] baggie.Keep that with your tools, or in the glovebox, or under the seat. Always put it back in the same place.
Truck stops should have the hardware since Radio Shack is gone. Look in the CB section.
BTW, What size tires are you running?

And if you're confident in your present engine, keep it.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 09-01-2021 at 06:19 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote