View Single Post
Old 09-18-2021, 08:08 PM   #170
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: I'm legit again, my "new" '68 LB

I was an avionics tech in the military, so I don't mind crimping and soldering wires. I buy the ''Universal'' plug wire sets, and cut the plug wires to length.
Also my Stepside uses an L6. I buy the V8 sets, and after every 3 wire changes, I have enough leftovers for a free fourth set. L6 runs are pretty short.
The vendors all sell a stock type cigarette lighter and socket assembly. About $15 or $20.
Easy install and damn handy. I don't smoke, but GPS, cellphone chargers and [in the winter with no heater in the GMC,] I have a Hot Seat. Plug-in vibrating back massager/heating pad.
Voltage spikes from an External Voltage Regulator can flash burn an HEI Module. I moved up to an Internally regulated alternator on the 350 in my GMC Jimmy. Bought a brand new one, stock for a slightly later vintage Blazer. Working great.
What viscosity oil are you running? I start with 30 weight with a newly rebuilt engine, then work up to SAE 40 at about 150,000, and finally 50 weight, before I pull it out and rebuild.
I'll have to back track on the tire size question. Can't remember what that was about.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 09-18-2021 at 08:16 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote