View Single Post
Old 09-03-2021, 08:44 AM   #18
Driver_WT

Re: Full replacement chassis: No Limit/other --54pu

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&B51 View Post
I’m with mick53,
I just finished home built 2x4x1/8” custom frame for my project on 51 pick up. I e told this story before but seems relevant to this discussion. Used entire rolling C6 chassis and drivetrain-5K miles (totaled-only body damage) converted to ride tech coil overs, Dobbertin frame adapters, Gamel lengthened torque tube, had 2 Frame rails custom bent then I welded up crossmembers and X frame, cab mounts and radiator support. Eastwood platinum rust encapsulate on fresh steel with chassis black over the top. Will be running some of the final brake and transmission lines and ready to start putting the body back on top. Using all factory computers. All in with fresh (had 5K miles on C6 when body was totaled) Factory stock LS2 and great weight distribution/auto tranny in rear, expect total weight ~600 lbs less than corvette at about $18K. 400 hp/400 torque, engine starts and runs. Doesn’t seem bad to have roller ready for body and interior, steering column, radiator, extra wiring, self made custom running board supports. homemade wood bed and bits hopefully under 35K all in (I can hope can’t I?). I am definitely not a rocket scientist, just stubborn.
Was a lot of measuring and thinking, test fitting body before final welding. Sure hope it works, but that’s part of the excitement! If works, glad to relay frame specifications. Anyone with basic welding skills could do this one.
All the details just for comparison as you try to add up all you’d spend beyond the really nice Morrison style frame. Part of the attraction I have for this plan is that the entire rolling chassis (4 wheel Independent suspension, disc brakes, front and rear cradles) and driveline, (ready to start engine, front drive/serpentine assembly, factory AC compressor ready for OldAir finish AC, factory braking, steering-everything that made the corvette go) is stock C6 Corvette - unaltered engine and transmission combo (I can tell you where to get the Corvettes).
Hoping it will reduce my hassle and issues with reliability and repairs long-term? I have built five other vehicles Frankenstein style and had a lot of fun but wow can they be less than reliable and a chore to remember what parts came from where five or 10 years later.
We will see. It’s only a great idea once it’s drivable.
Have lots of great pics if can figure how to attach from my phone?
Posted via Mobile Device
Looks like an awesome build. You will love the Corvette drivetrain and suspension. I had two C6 Corvettes - the LS2 got 35 mpg running at a steady 75 mph, the LS3 would only get about 30 mpg (but it was 485 hp). I suspect an AD is not quite as aerodynamic as a C6 LOL, but still a very nice working engine. And not much money to get the LS2 to 450 hp.

Love the work on the frame.