View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #36
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Re: Hack Dash for aftermarket Radio???

I started with a plain jane 86 shortbox with a trashed interior. The radio opening was already hacked for a CD player-so to clean it up and go with a "don't steal me, I'm not worth it" Delco Theftlok CD player from a 1999 Blazer so I could at least still listen to CD's. I carefully trimmed the dash to mimic the opening on 88-91 Suburbans, then used an LMC brushed aluminum overlay for the Suburban 1.5 DIN faceplate I had. The bezel is unmodified and looks factory. This is the only pic I can find showing a fairly decent interior shot of the stereo for some reason...my overall goal is to update a lot of features on the truck while maintaining a stock appearance.

If I ever decide to part with the truck, I hope the next owner doesn't mind me making due with an already hacked radio opening-van power mirror upgrade, power seat mod/upgrade on stock Suburban buckets (coming soon!), auto-dimming rearview mirror/auto headlights w/dash mounted light sensor and auto Express Down windows.

My next mod includes tracking down an electric rear slider with an Express Open feature...these trucks are too much fun to just leave alone imo
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote