View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 04:31 AM   #14
BigRandy

Re: 454 Occasional Lifter Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
I use water to clean the valves and piston tops. Trickle a little into the carb. Steam cleans the chambers.
ATF works but can be quite smoky. Neighbors might get excited. Lol!

On your mileage quest.
What carb?
What’s your initial timing?
Sure. thanks.

Quardajet.

I rebuilt it right after getting the truck, The reason was because of extreme flooding to the point that it wouldn't run unless I gave it lots of throttle so it wouldn't drown in fuel. Found the tiny itty bitty bas#%@d clip at the back of the float was missing.

I cleaned everything, looked at the jets and rods and put it back together. The poly-plastic float was stained white like it had been sitting in bad gas but I didn't have a replacement. I think it needs one.

It starts easy, no well plug leaks, but once warm if I so much as touch the accelerator when I hit the starter it will instantly flood. I pulled one of the plugs and it's wet and black. What I mean by wet is I can wet my finger just touching the plug.

I saw the seller later and mentioned the carb kit. He said that was not the original carb but one recently rebuilt by a carb guy who built it for him specifically for that motor.

I'm not knocking the carb guy's experience because I only know enough to be dangerous, but even if I was an expert I don't think I could confidently
take an unmatched Qjet and do a rebuild for a specific motor I'd never see and call it "ready."

Figuring there was more to learn about the carb problem I did some digging using the part number and the carb belonged on a later 70's motor with a manual transmission.

If I had known all of this before I rebuilt it myself I would have checked for the correct jets and rods, but I didn't look so I have no idea what the carb guy did to make it "ready" for my '74 454.

Initial timing is either 12 or 14. I've tried both and pretty sure I have it at 12BTDC. I should be more current on my info but have been busy working on the house to do much with the truck.

Thanks again.
Randy
BigRandy is offline   Reply With Quote