Old 12-14-2021, 03:06 AM   #50
chev-obsession

Re: A grandpa’s camper truck resurrection

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post
Thats a cool truck and camper!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Very cool that you found that truck and could give it the attention it needs. Thanks for detailing your efforts and I look forward to following along.
Thanks guys, I enjoy sharing this stuff with people who appreciate these trucks and the work to get them going again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
Awesome, glad to hear it. It’s really satisfying to refresh the original stuff. I bet that mat will clean up nicely. Nothing like that OE fit.
Yes I couldn’t agree more on the OE fit! It should clean up well with some oxy clean and the Hotsy!

Speaking of OE fit… I saved the rubber grommet from the fuel tank filler neck. My neighbor restores vintage motorcycles and has a trick for anything you might ever need fixed or repaired. One day I was over at his place and he was bragging about how he was softening a rubber intake boot. In the back of my mind I’m thinking “yeah, what kind of snake oil did you find on an infomercial?” Lol

Turns out he runs the rubber pieces through a “Vapor Hone” to clean them well, then soaks them in wintergreen oil and alcohol mixture and it works very well at softening old brittle rubber pieces. I had never heard of it before and I’m impressed to say the least. Since the rubber grommet on the fuel filler came out undamaged for the most part I had him give it a soak for half a day and it came out great. Good enough to put back on the truck. Also it smells like wintergreen/peppermint so it’ll be a nice “air freshener” if you will

Also I repainted (powder coated) a K5 blazer emblem that I found at a junkyard. I was going to put it on my tool box but wanted it to have a fresh paint job. I think it turned out fairly nice, a couple little blemishes that I will work out on my next fine detail job. Also wish the yellow was darker but that’s all I had. The chrome is fairly decent and not pitting so it went through the neighbors “Vapor Hone” with the fuel filler grommet.
Attached Images