View Single Post
Old 11-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #15
5Tractorguy

Re: Quick distributor question...

Alrighty, got the new distributor installed after Thanksgiving, along with a new coil and the neutral safety switch that mounts to the base of the steering column.

- No difference in how the truck runs with the new dist. and coil

- It did start quick and run smooth as silk when I had the timing advance wire unplugged. Granted the base was at about 15-20deg before I brought it down to 0, BUT it did start and run very smooth. Once I set the base and reconnected the wire, back to misfiring and such.

- Still has the clicking starting issue with the new neutral switch (not a big deal really, figured the switch would remedy since the truck still had the OEM switch).

- Drove this past Friday, still has a misfire upon startup, runs doggy, will not increase engine RPM after 2200 - 2400 rpm when depressing the pedal under load.

- The engine almost cut out on me again twice. Radio started to blip a few times then shut off entirely. Turned right back on after. Then the engine almost shut off, fell on it's face for 3-5 seconds and recovered. Like someone started to shut off the injectors. Got a bit shaky on the highway then evened out for the reminder of the ride (15min).

I'm at a loss here guys....
Seems like there is a bad connection somewhere in the harness or dirty power. I ohm'ed out the wires for the ICM, knock sensor, timing plug, no shorts. Started the truck and wiggled the harness everywhere, nothing happened. Something is causing the misfire, not letting it advance timing under a load and in turn hogs through fuel (8.5mpg). Swapping in a new/good used engine harness has crossed my mind...

5Tractorguy on Youtube
5Tractorguy is online now   Reply With Quote