View Single Post
Old 05-27-2021, 10:28 AM   #17
hemi43

Re: Best alignment numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAULIN' IT View Post
Hemi, As much as you are not wrong, I feel there should be some time/effort spent figuring out where the caster is. Between the age of these trucks, swapped parts (especially a/m lift springs) ect. one could end up WAY off & just picking 3* may only be a start & if you are buying, why not get 5 or 6* shim if that puts you closer to the desired number? You sure dont want to be anywhere down around 0*.
A simple "C" shaped fixture made out of a couple pieces of scrap metal (to get around the bulge in the center of the knuckle) to sit on the knuckle at the ball joints & an angle finder will go along way to telling where you are. Lorne
I checked the factory numbers BEFORE I did any mods to get a baseline. My factory 1970 dana 44 had 3 degrees of caster and 1 degree of positive camber right from the factory. This was measured on brand new Tuff Country 2" lift springs.
I wanted a total of 6 degrees, and that's why I used 3 degree shims.
I checked the caster exactly like you mentioned, I measured from the top ball joint stud to the bottom stud with a small jig I made and a digital angle finder. I made sure the truck was sitting level before any measurements were taken. The camber was measured off of the rim lip. All measurements were taken with the full weight of the truck sitting on the ground.

Last edited by hemi43; 05-27-2021 at 10:36 AM.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote