View Single Post
Old 08-18-2021, 10:51 PM   #8
Thadious

Re: 51 Chevy on a Ford Explorer Subframe - Time for a Different Frame Swap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
are you saying you will be extending the cab to fit the wheelbase and box length you want? its a bit of work but would give you more leg room. I suggest to add length to the doors and move the posts back. it may look better than a short extension behind the door. it is your truck though so you gotta do what you like.
have you thought about using the donor explorer floor pan and firewall? I sent you a private message in that regard.
Apologies and let me clarify... No, I have no intention of cutting up the cab or extending it. It is a matter of shortening the box/running boards and moving of the fenders.

After a closer inspection of the frame today (and having it almost completely stripped down) I will be extending it... it will be a matter of cutting it, placing a long insert inside, drilling and plug welding it in place, then having a couple "C" channels make from 1/8" plate as fillers and welding the whole thing together.

What I will have to do, is at the back of the cab, down by the frame rails, enlarging the opening that goes over the frame so that the cab can sit down over it.

I removed the cab, fenders and entire front end of the truck off of the old frame (minus the hood) as one piece. This will help with getting everything aligned as a unit with minimal shifting of the parts.

I do believe that with some minor mods, this will make for a pretty nifty conversion.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote